Cornelius Cox "Corny" Marshall '56 - 1996 Award of Honor




C.C. "Corny" Marshall, a lifelong resident of Johnson City, serves as president of Mountcastle Corporation. His success rests with his strong belief that some hallmarks of good business never change, such as commitment to one's word and consistency in one's actions.

As a veteran real estate developer, Mr. Marshall has steered a steady course through the challenging land development years. During a span of more than 35 years, he has successfully developed, marketed and managed a vast array of projects. He has directed projects in more than ten states. Locally, his company has overseen the development of the Franklin Square Project, a 55-acre premier retail development in Northeast Tennessee; the Woodridge Psychiatric Hospital; Tri-City Bank; the Mountcastle condominiums; the Levi Building, a 50,000-square-foot specialized manufacturing plant; along with a Southern colonial style building which is home to the convention and visitors bureau and the Chamber of Commerce.

Mountcastle Corporation dates back to 1949 and was originally founded as a land development company by Mr. Marshall's father, E.D. Marshall. Corny Marshall joined his father in the company during the building boom of the 1960s and runs the firm today with his son, John. Over the past ten years, the company developed more than two million square feet of retail space.

Mr. Marshall served as a director of Hamilton Bank for 17 years and is a founding director and chairman of the board for People's Community Bank in Johnson City. He also serves on the board of directors of the Johnson City Medical Center Hospital and is a member of the International Council of Shopping Centers.

An avid ETSU supporter, Mr. Marshall is a member of the ETSU Foundation. He earned his bachelor's degree in business from ETSU in 1956.

He and his wife, Alice Mays, are the parents of two children, John and Courtney.